The Tums factory in Downtown St. Louis is still the world headquarters for the famous Tums brand. The factory makes billions of the antacid tablets each year.
It was James Howe, a pharmacist, who created the tablets in 1928 to treat his wife’s indigestion. TUMS became a house hold name shortly after releasing the tablets to the public in 1930.
A local radio station had a competition for listeners to name the tablets. A nurse won the competition who picked the word TUMS which derived from the word Tummy.
Glaxo Smith Kline, a pharmaceutical company, currently owns the Tums brand and has no intentions of leaving St. Louis at this time.