TAMPA, FL – NOV 20, 2015: Gas station skimmers were found all over Florida (including Brandon and Tampa) earlier this year by a state-wide sweep conducted by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
Skimmers are devices that criminals hide inside gas pumps that go virtually undetected. Once the device is inside the machine, it collects all of your credit card data when you swipe your card.
IMPORTANT: Always make sure seal at pump has not been broken.
STEPS TO AVOID GAS STATION SKIMMERS:
- Paying with cash inside the gas station is the only way to fully ensure that your credit card information stays safe.
- If you don’t have cash, use your credit card instead of your debit card. Credit cards have better fraud protection policies.
- If you use your debit card at the pump, choose to run it as a credit card so you will not be prompted to enter your PIN number. The skimmer records everything you key in so your PIN number will remain safe by choosing the credit card option.
- Use a gas pump closest to the store since thieves mostly place skimmers furthest away so they are less likely to be spotted breaking into the machines.
- Sign up for email or text receipts for any card charges that incur.
- If you suspect that your credit card number has been stolen, report it right way to your credit card company.
SKIMMERS FOUND IN BRANDON & TAMPA:
Causeway Mobil, 11210 Causeway Blvd, Brandon, FL
Mobil Mart, 1640 W Brandon Blvd, Brandon, FL
Citgo Quick Mart, 6101 S Macdill Ave, Tampa, FL
Joy Food Store, 6314 E Fowler Ave, Tampa, FL
Radiant Food Store, 110 E Bearss Ave, Tampa, FL