PADUCAH, KY – The Paducah Freight House is a historic railroad freight depot built in 1925 that’s now home to the Paducah Chamber Of Commerce and the Freight House Restaurant at 3rd and Washington in downtown Paducah, KY.
The Paducah Railroad Museum once resided on the second floor of the freight house but eventually moved next door. The building was home to the Chief Paduke Antique Mall for a stint as well.
Original markings still remain on the train depot that read (N.C. & St. L. Ry.) which stands for the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway Company founded in the late 1800s.
Today NC&StL, like many other small railroads, ended up becoming part of the CSX Transportation company through acquisitions and mergers. CSX continues using original NC&StL routes between Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta. (source Wikipedia)
In 1979, the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway Office and Freight House (Also known as Johnston-Backus Building or Paducah Freight House) was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The featured photo depicts the Chamber Of Commerce composed with a faded-in vintage photo of an ICRR Steam Engine with workers posing. The original photo of the men in front of the steam engine can be viewed at the Paducah Railroad Museum donated by Carolyn Roberts.