PADUCAH, KY – Hotel Irvin Cobb opened in 1929 on Broadway at 6th Street and was labeled as one of the most finest hotels in the South for decades.
The original owner, Adolph Weil, contracted Architect Walter Alschlager to design the building like no other. They decided on a eclectic mix that melted French Gothic and English Medieval that created a Southern charm all its own.
1927 – 1929: Construction cost: $400,000
1929: Opened in 1929 with Irvin S. Cobb as first registered guest
1959: Sold by Cobb family
1960’s: Experienced a decline in stays
1972: Minor fire on top floor closed the hotel down
1978: Added to National Register of Historical Places
CIRCA Building restored as apartments and ground floor retail spaces.
Today the Irvin Cobb building is an Assisted Living and Section 8 apartment community with 1 and 2 bedrooms available. Read an indepth history of the hotel at npgallery.nps.gov